Your bathroom is full of moisturizers, face oils, face serums, face washes, toners, eye creams, on and on and on. If your bathroom looks like mine it’s packed full of beauty products for every single occasion. But what do you do with a thousand products? What goes first? And in what order?
Your daytime and nighttime beauty routine shouldn’t give you anxiety, but yes, there actually is a proper order of application when it comes to your beauty regime. And don’t worry, we’re going to simplify the whole thing for you below.
- Face Wash: Start your morning off with a fresh face. I like to leave my face wash in the shower so I can really get a good cleaning in.
- Toner: People underestimate the importance of toner. Toners are important in the morning because it helps pH balance your skin. It can help tighten your pores, which in turns adds a layer of protection against impurities and environmental pollutions.
- Eye Cream: No, it’s not just for nighttime. Wearing eye cream is going to help get rid of puffiness, dark circles and overall, it’s going to make you look more alert and awake–especially if you had too much vino the night before.
- Face Serum: What is a face serum and how is it different than a moisturizer? Face serums are lightweight, sometimes gel like moisturizers that penetrate deeper into your skin because they’re usually highly concentrated. Moisturizers usually contain about 10% active ingredients, while serums contain closer to 70%.
- Moisturizer: Moisturizing is your way of hydrating your skin. People who use moisturizer regularly have less wrinkles and dry skin. Using a moisturizer under your makeup will help you look flawless, so make sure to use it before your morning makeup routine. It’s especially important to moisturize after your shower because hot water strips all the moisture and oils out of your skin, leaving it parched and dry.
- Sunblock: Can’t stress this one enough, make sure you use a ton of sunblock! It will help you reduce damage your skin faces from the sun, helps prevent skin cancer, prevents brown spots and discolorations and reduces the appearance of wrinkles and premature aging, among other reasons. Please, please, please, don’t ever skip sunscreen!
- Lip Balm: Get a lip balm with an SPF in it, so you’ll be protecting your lips from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Face Wash: A beautiful face starts with a clean one so make sure you wash off all your makeup from the day.
- Toner: Using a toner is especially important at night because it helps remove any dirt and residue from the day.
- Eye Cream: Of course you already know it helps with hydration and wrinkle reduction, but it also protects the delicate skin around your eye.
- Serum: Like I mentioned above, it’s important to add serum to your routine because it penetrates deep into your skin.
- Moisturizer: By this point you already know that moisturizing is super important, but did you know that using it at night helps with better blood circulation? It helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles, prevents your skin from sagging and makes your skin oh-so soft.
- Face Oil: Face oils can help fortify and strengthen your skin’s own natural barrier, help improve your skin’s tolerance, and help mature skin look younger. And don’t worry if you have naturally oily skin, when you strip your face of it’s natural oils by over-washing, your skin is going to react by producing ever more oil, so when you apply face oil, it gets rapidly absorbed into your skin and gives you a healthy glow.
- Lip Balm: This one is optional at night, but who doesn’t love having kissable lips?
For a detailed explanation on the order of application, check out our video below: